Monday, June 18, 2012

Pseudomonas :(

This morning I went up to the CF Clinic to learn some infant massage for Sarah in the hopes of helping her calm for some of her CPT treatments. While I was there Sarah's nurse stopped in to talk to me. I need to ask her some questions anyways. Sarah's vest got here on Friday and I wanted to find out when we would be able to start using it. I got the OK to use it. Sarah seems to really like it. Then I go the bad news, Sarah's latest throat cultures were not good.  Sarah cultured positive for Pseudomonas this time.

 Oh NO.

I know this is a common occurrence in CF patients, but it's not really something you want to hear that a culture came back positive for.  They have the potential to cause a lot of problems, and they can be hard to treat.  But there are meds that can treat it, and how long she will need to be on them depends on how well she responds to them. She will be on one oral and one inhaled antibiotic. Good news is that she already has the nebulizer so we can get started as soon as Walgreens can fill the scripts. Sarah will be on a 28 day supply of TOBI (Tobramycin Inhalation Solution, USP). After the 28 day cycle, she'll need to have another throat culture - if she tests negative, we can stop treatments, but if she tests positive we'll have to do another 28 day cycle and will keep repeating the process until she cultures negative.  Hopefully she'll culture negative in a cycle or 2.

Here is a video of her with the vest on the first time she tried it. I don't think she knew what to think.



No comments: