Wednesday, April 8, 2009

The longest 36 hrs

This won't be to long, since I have not slept for 36 hrs. At 1:00 am Tuesday morning, my SIL, Carolyn's water broke. So as I was sleeping, my brother, David comes out in the loving room to wake my dad and I up, saying "Get up, Carolyn's water broke." I could not believe it. So we rush around and ran out the door to the hospital. She got checked in, and we sat and waited.
We waited through breakfast, and No Baby. ..
Then came lunch, No Baby...
As my dad and I sat after lunch he got a call that my step mom's Aunt had passed away at 12:01 pm. We knew that she was not doing well, but I couldn't believe that this was happening all in the same day. Although we really felt bad there was really nothing that we could do being in another state.
So then came dinner, Still NO Baby...
At this point it was looking as if my dad and I would not be there to see the birth. We had a flight out at 7:45pm. So as one last ditch effort, my dad call the airline and they worked with us to change our flight to Wednesday morning at 5:15am.
Everyone was really starting to get tired. After 20 hrs of waiting the time had come for Carolyn to start pushing. It took almost an hour. Although we were not able to see what was going on, we were able to be in the room behind a curtain, so we could hear everything. Carolyn did a great job of pushing and David did a great job of being a support coach for her. At 10:51 pm (eastern time) on April 7 2009, I became an AUNT, William Gavin Finney was born 8lbs and 20.5inches long. He came out with a great set of lungs. As they started to clean him up the nurse pulled back the curtain a little so that we could see Gavin as they finished up with Carolyn. He was so cute. We all took turns holding him and of course I took lots of Pictures. So we had a couple of hrs with David, Carolyn and Gavin before we had to head to the airport at 3:00am.
The time came when we had to say goodbye to everyone and head to the airport. David took us to the airport since he needed to run home and shower and get more clothes to stay with Carolyn. On the way to the airport my Dad gets a call from my cousin, informing us that my Grandma Nettie (my dads step mom) had passed just hrs before away at 12:30am. This would be today April 8th. I think at this point we were all in shock from the events of the day. We were super happy about Gavin's arrival, but didn't really know what to think about the unexpected news of my Grandma. Right now I am still not really sure what I think or what I feel. Please be in prayer for my family during this hard time, but praise God for the beautiful baby boy he brought into our family.

Proud new Daddy
1st Family Photo
My First time holding Gavin "I'm an AUNT"!

Gavin about 30mins old After he came back from the nursery. (notice the IV, He had to get some medicine for an infection) He had a really high fever. Three generations... Grandpa, Dad, and son! My brother and I with Gavin

And Last but not least, I wanted to include a picture of my Grandma Nettie. This was taken the day Brooke was born. I feel so lucky that she was there and able to share that special day with me. I also feel luck that Brooke had the chance to meet her.

1 comment:

Shaun said...

Shari- I will pray peace and comfort for you and your family. Hugs- Shaun