Sunday, April 25, 2010

Entertainment Center turned into a child's play kitchen

So I was looking for something to do for Brooke's 2nd Birthday and came across this. I thought I could do that, so That is what I did.

I turned this...



into this...


This is how I did it.
I found an old entertainment center on Craigslist and went to work.
I took the Doors off and the backing off.
I started by putting on a light coat of paint. (I would wait till the end to do this next time)
Then using a jig saw I cut the hole for the sink. After that Jason used it to cut a hold in the "oven" door so Brooke can see the food she is cooking.
I then found some material and modge podged the fabric on to make a counter. I put several coats and then sanded between each coat to make it smooth. It really doesn't feel like fabric any more. I then sealed it off with clear coat. I also taped off and sprayed the Stove top. As well as adding a picture to make a window. The "picture" is really a puzzle that my roommate and I did back in college.
After That I installed the faucet that I got at the habitat for humanity restore and the sink which is a square cake pan.
I used cabinet foam liner to make the burners and ready to eat liquid formula lids sprayed painted black as the knobs. Then I sewed together matching curtains and installed them along with the pot rack. The "glass" on the oven door is Plexiglass from a picture frame.
Over all I think the project was a big success.

$$$ Price list $$$
Entertainment center from craigslist- $20
Pink/Yellow Paint- FREE (left overs from when we painted the girls rooms)
Spray Paint-silver/black- $3
Fabric- $4
Sink faucet, door handles - $8 (from the habitat from humanity restore)
Picture- FREE (old puzzle, frame and plexiglass I had)
Stove top/knobs- Free
Pot rack- $3 ($.99 for the hooks from Ikea, and $1.99 towel rack from Ikea)
Oven rack- $3 cookie cooling rack

GRAND TOTAL -$41
BROOKE PLAYING WITH IT
$$$$ PRICELESS$$$$

Of course we did have to buy a jigsaw since we didn't have one, but you can always borrow one if you need to .

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Are the knobs able to turn? If so, what kind are they? I am doing a kitchen for my daughter and I unable to find knobs.